Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Reddit, Snapchat…. the list of social media sites goes on. And all your customers are using them. Which is why you need to be too.
The reason is that they’re a great way to get your name out there without all the hard-sell. And it’s free – all it costs is your time. They’re also a great way to build relationships with everyone you do business with like retailers and other trade people, allowing you to learn from each other as well as pass on news and information.
Let’s start by looking at the two daddies of Social Media:
Every age, every occupation and every household type are on it so it has a broad range of users. Now, not everyone is on it, but it still boasts over 1.5 billion. That’s a population bigger than China.
There are around 320 million Twitter users in the UK. And again, they’re a broad bunch – just like your customers. You can follow customers and they can follow you, as well as recommend you to their friend.
10 reasons to use Social Media
- You can reach out to local people
- It’s a great way to get involved in your local community
- By posting pictures of something you’re proud to put your name with, you can showcase your work and skills
- You can tell everyone about any offers (but don’t ‘hard sell’ them)
- If you’re quiet, you can advertise for jobs
- It’s a great way to chat with customer and build a lasting relationship.
- You can try different types of social media to reach different people.
- Customers can leave a review publicly. An independent recommendation is always the best way to get more business.
- You can detail where you work, what you do and what’s your experience, which is great customer service right from the start.
- It’s all free to do!
Just don’t try to ‘Sell’
Social Media can get you work, but it’s a soft sell. People use it as part of their leisure, so they don’t want you selling to them too. If you do, they will unfollow or un-like you. Just having your name up there, seeing someone praising your work or noticing you give a handy tip to someone is enough to put you front of mind.
So, what are you waiting for? Set up a Social Media account today! Before you know it, you’ll be posting or tweeting your way to success.